Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cheap Christianity

In the past some people have taken issue with some of my blog posts, they don't like my views on certain issues. Understandable. I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I write on here. But let me say this: what is posted on the Wonderblog is simply my opinion, and that opinion does not always reflect the opinion of Trust Communications, Life 100.3 or its supporters. Now that we got that out of the way, on with my post.

If you're a frequent (or maybe even infrequent) reader of the Wonderblog you know I'm bothered by how the church is viewed in culture today. I wish it wasn't so. Do I have the solution? Probably not. I've got some ideas, but haven't tried them out in reality so I don't know if they would actually work. I read the Bible and Jesus repeatedly engaged culture instead of withdrawing from it. That's what the religious leaders of the day didn't like. He didn't play by their rules, he hung out with the wrong people, said the wrong things and extended love and grace to some of society's least deserving... at least in the religious leaders eyes. Sometimes I think the church today behaves like that. We've created our own culture, with our own rules and our own standards. Sure we meant well at the start, but maybe it's gone too far.

Check out this article from Relevant Magazine.
http://relevantmagazine.com/god_article.php?id=7507