Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Big Drift

Aside from coffee with some of the most inspiring, intelligent and kind people I know, the thing I miss most about my fundraising position is the driving.

I'm messed up, I know.

You see those hours in the car were more than just getting from A to B, they were times of learning. Times of contemplation. Times of dreaming.

On the drives to Muskoka, the Kawarthas and south to the GTA, I'd plug in my iPod and listen to podcasts. I miss that.

Earlier this week I stumbled across a notebook filled with thoughts and ideas from these podcasts I listened to. One section had notes from Andy Stanley's Big Church series. In one of his messages he talks about 3 drifts that we see in church world today.

1 - The Drift Toward Insiders & Away From Outsiders
"People who don't come here don't call and complain." It's easy to spend all your time handling the squeaky wheel and no time reaching people who don't know Jesus.

2 - The Drift Toward Law And Away From Grace
When we develop policies, we move away from conversations and grace begins to slip away.

3 - The Drift Toward Preserving Rather Than Advancing
When you have nothing but vision, and nothing to lose, you take risks to reach people. As you grow the drift is toward preserving what you've built, at the cost of advancing the kingdom.

I think it applies to more than church world. Have you seen these drifts in the corporate world? In your personal life?

Are you a drifter?

No comments:

Post a Comment