Monday, April 15, 2013

Step-By-Step or Winging-It?

Last week I was off work for a couple days due to a lack of voice and Tim Maassarany filled in admirably.

The night before each show Tim and I would be sitting on the phone going over each and every section of the show. Tim wanted to be prepared for the next day, and I get that. The problem came when he asked questions that I didn't have the answer to.

Maybe it was because I was tired and wanted to go to bed, but the conversation went something like this:
Tim - "How long do they have to answer for the contest?"
AJ - "10 minutes"
"Seriously"
"I don't know. Go with your gut. If they go too long buzz them."
"That's mean"
"They should answer faster."
"What if they get it wrong? Do I go to the next caller?"
"Sure, if you have time."
"How much time do I have."
"I don't know. Go by feel. You don't want it to go too long and grow stale."
"3 minutes?"
"Sure."

Tim likes to be prepared, as evidenced by his take on the situation. He likes to have the steps laid out.
I tend to go by feel.

Guess we're just wired differently.

Which boat are you in?
Step-By-Step, or Winging It?

No comments:

Post a Comment