Monday, October 29, 2007

What a Weekend!

This past weekend was an interesting one that's for sure. It started Friday with Crystal calling during the House Party to tell me she's feeling sick and doesn't know if she'll make it to the end of her shift at work. Well she made it and agreed to go to the walk-in clinic Saturday to get some drugs.

Saturday I was at the "Say My Name" finals at the Bayfield Mall and after we gave away the trip to Mexico I checked my phone to see how Crystal was. She had left me a message that they rushed her to emerge once the doctor saw her at the walk-in. So off I went to the emergency room at RVH only to see Crystal sitting in the pink chairs in the waiting room. (Pink meaning she hadn't even gone through the preliminary screening) We were in the emergency department for quite some time... We played trivia, sudoku and crosswords to pass the time. People must have thought we were some kind of freaks. We were laughing and playing games, while people around us are crying, moaning and doing their best to look their worst hoping it would get them in faster. We finally made it in after 10pm (7 hours). By 3am they had given Crystal some antibiotics and told her the technician for a CAT scan wasn't in so she'd have to come back tomorrow. We were both hungry so I made us nachos at 4 in the morning.

Sunday, (8am) we were back at the hospital getting ready for a CAT scan. Crystal drank this nasty "dirty dishwater" as she called it and got ready for the tests. Once the tests were done they said it would be 2 or 3 hours before the had results... Great, more waiting around. About 30 minutes after the tests the surgeon appeared in our room saying they were going to remove Crystal's appendix, and the booked to O.R. for 2 o'clock. She went in at 3:00 and was up in her room at 4:30. (Her room was in the newborn section because they are short on space.) I stayed with her until about 10:00 last night then headed home.

Crystal called me this morning at about 9:30 saying they are kicking her out and needs me to come pick her up. We went home, settled in and then I went grocery shopping because she can't eat solid food yet. Lots of Jello and yogurt for the next couple days.

So after spending over 26 hours in the hospital over 2 days am I upset? No. I would be if nothing was wrong with Crystal, but they found what was wrong and they fixed it. It wasn't that bad, because of our work schedules we haven't had that much time together in a long time!

Here's what's weird about the whole ordeal. I wasn't worried at any point of the weekend. I kinda feel guilty for that. My wife was going in for surgery and had her appendix burst, she could have died. Still I wasn't worried. I knew she was in the hands of very capable doctors, and God was lookin out for her, why worry? I couldn't do anything to change the circumstances. Am I wrong to feel that way?

She made me promise not to post pictures from my phone on Facebook or MySpace, so here's what it would have looked like had I been the one with an infected appendix. Believe me, if I could have, I would have gladly taken her place.