Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sticks And Stones

We've been hearing a lot about bullying over the past number of months and while I believe it's a problem, I've often dismissed it as something I don;t need to worry about.

I don't beat-up kids for their lunch money.
I don't use derogatory terms when talking with people.
I try to be kind to the people I come across every day.

I'm not a bully... At least I don't think I am.

I saw this video today and I felt convicted. Maybe I am a bully.



I will jokingly call someone a "knob".
I will give people "fun" nicknames that they might not feel are complimentary.
I will give someone a shot in the arm, or mess up their hair to say hi.
I will tease Tim Maassarany for being a fan of the Leafs.

Sure I'm smiling and joking when I do it, but that doesn't excuse me from being a bully. It may be good-natured but no doubt it can still hurt the victim.

That video served as a bit of a wake-up call for me. I need to be careful when I joke and play that it isn't being taken the wrong way.

No comments:

Post a Comment