Thursday, October 29, 2009

Church Membership

Tonight on Group Therapy Thursday we looked at Kelly's situation down the 401 in London. Here's what she says:
I am going to university in London, living in rez, so I don't really come home on weekends. As a result I've started going to church here in London. It's great. I love the church and wanted to get involved. I'd served in Children's ministry for almost 10 years back home and I love it. So I figured it would be a good fit here in London. There's just one problem. You need to be a member of the church to serve. My previous experience in Children's ministry is totally ignored! What do I do? I really want to be involved, but don't have time to take membership classes.
Kelly


So we asked you for advice. What should Kelly do? Stay and go through the membership classes? Go find another church where she can serve?

We were split pretty much down the middle. Some people talked about the importance of membership and making a commitment. Others said Church Membership is just red tape, go somewhere where you would be appreciated. I say... what's the point of church membership? I know you need to be a member to vote in business meetings, and it's a sign of commitment, but I don't see why you need it to serve in the church.
Criminal record check - yes
Professing Christian - yes
Letter of recommendation from old church (in this case) - sure
Membership - I don't think so

In this case I think the policy and red tape is impeding the progress of the ministry. But what do I know? I'm just a want-to-be church planter.

1 comment:

  1. What happened to all the photos that were above your daily blogs?

    Scott

    ReplyDelete