Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Get Y'er Oil Ready

I was reading Matthew 25 today, and it hit me like I was reading it for the first time. Yeah it's about the second coming, but it took a different path today.

I always thought it was kind of unfair how the 5 bridesmaids who didn't have enough oil got shut out of the party. I mean, it's not like they broke any of the 10 commandments, they were just a little bit irresponsible. But maybe Jesus was driving home a point. (Ya think?) Maybe he was saying that there is stuff you need to take care of before the groom comes. Maybe God has you here for a reason, and you need to get down to business now. Maybe he's given you a dream, and instead of sitting around and talking about it you need to take steps to see it comes to fruition. Take action. Perhaps the 5 foolish bridesmaids were sitting around (like girls tend to do) gushing about how excited they were to see the groom, how great the party was going to be and they forgot to stock up on oil?

Maybe the parable hit me like this because of where I find myself in life. I want to see people who have given up on church and given up on Christianity have an experience with God. I talk about it a lot, I dream about it a lot, I pray about it a lot, but I haven't really done anything to try and make it happen. Maybe I don't know how. Maybe I'm scared. But I feel like God is pushing me to take some steps to make it happen.

I'm sure one of you scholarly folks will correct me on it if I'm wrong.

3 comments:

  1. I think that's what's missing from the church today. They say they are open to newcomers, but they have a religious air about them. Just my opinion. That's why I stopped going to church. They weren't open to having broken people in their midst. The dirty looks and judgemental glares I got were outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you might be on to something. I'd never thought of it that way, but it makes sense the way you explained it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how that happens soemtimes. It could be the thousandth time you read it, but it's like you read it for the first time.

    As for your dream. I think it's a noble goal, but often we overlook what happens after someone becomes a Christian. Don't forget to disciple them.

    ReplyDelete