Monday, February 11, 2013

The Grammys, Facebook & A Jesus Juke

As I was scanning Facebook last night I came across a post that got under my skin. I'm sure the author didn't mean for it to irk me, but it did. The post was something along the lines of: "Home from church and I see all my Christian friends posting about the Grammys, makes me sad, I wonder where their hearts are at?" As if to say that as a 'Christian' you shouldn't be watching or posting about the Grammys. Maybe as a Christ follower all my posts on social media should be scripture verses, or cliche motivational sayings?

I doubt that was their intention, but it sparked something within me. I don't believe being a Christian means you talk exclusively about religion. In fact, I think that actually hinders you from living on mission.

Our mission as believers is to lead people into an encounter with Christ. That mean connecting with people on their level. If you approached a non-believer at work today and quoted them the 'verse of the day', they'd likely walk away from you, and maybe avoid you next time they saw you coming.  Instead, if you elect to talk to them about Saturday's Leaf game, the Grammys or Identity Thief they might continue the conversation and you tart to build a relationship.

A relationship which might allow you to talk about your faith, and how it impacts your parenting, relationships and work.

I think that is what it means to be "in the world, but not of the world."

Didn't Paul (like the Paul in the Bible) often make reference to Greek philosophers and gods (pop culture of the time) when speaking?

What's your take?
What doe it mean to be 'in the world, but not of it'?

No comments:

Post a Comment