Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Release Valve

I had been waiting for this day since the weekend. I scouted the 5-day forecast on Saturday and noticed Wednesday was supposed to be sunny and warm. Now it was the extendo forecast, so odds are it would be wrong. But I held out hope that Wednesday might actually be a nice day. Guess what? IT WAS!

Started off the day with the first skim sesh of the year, and conditions were epic! Long, fast lines with no one around. It was awesome.

Seeing as it was the first outing of the year, my stamina was pretty weak. So after about an hour of running along the beach I packed my gear into the car and continued north to the cottage.

The sun was shining down on the palace on pennorth, welcoming me to my mini-retreat. I unloaded my gear and continued on my mission: Splitting firewood. I grabbed our chopping stump, moved it to higher (less mushy) ground and started to hack away.

It was so good for me. No tv, no radio, no noise. Just me, nature and some wood that was about to meet it's maker. What a great release!

I haven't been sleeping well lately, not sure why. Maybe it's because I have a brain that doesn't turn off. I'm always thinking, creating and wondering "what if we did it this way." Maybe I'm stressed about something. Maybe I've been ingesting too much caffeine? Anyway, today was a release day. From skimming to splitting firewood, it was so nice to be able to clear my mind and just be. To feel the sand between my toes. I feel the warmth of the sun on my face. Man, It's good to be alive!

What's your release?

No comments:

Post a Comment