Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Journey To The Unknown

***DISCLAIMER: I do not mean any harm by the following post***
I spent a good chunk of the day in Toronto today. Only an hour down the road, but it felt like a foreign country. Let me explain what I mean. I made a pit stop at the Eaton Centre and I felt out of place. Not because I don't lack the income required to shop at Abercrombie & Fitch, Coach or Dolce & Gabbana, but because no one was speaking my language. I used the bathroom, where 2 (sounded like) Polish guys were speaking their native tongue. I stopped at the water fountain and eavesdropped on a group of (I think) Chinese business men talking shop. I walked through the parking garage where I encountered a man who only spoke Spanish, (sadly I couldn't tell him where he parked his car). It was wild! Living in Barrie I seemed to have forgotten just how multi-cultural Toronto is. Too bad I didn't run into any Estonians looking for the food court. Then I could have been somewhat useful.