Monday, September 24, 2007

Observing

I watched an interesting scenario unfold in church Sunday morning... The dude on stage was praying, and a young man came walking down the aisle, saw someone he knew and began to move down the row towards them. Problem was that he had to go past a handful of people to get to his friend. As you know, there's not a lot of room to get by people in the pews, and consequently he bumped into a couple of the people on his journey. These people were not happy. I can just imagine the thoughts going through their minds: "Doesn't he know to wait until prayer is done?" "What is this guy doing disrupting my time with God?" You may agree with these people's thoughts, and support the daggers their eyes threw at this young man. I do not.
He didn't look like a regular church attender, who knows, maybe it was his first time coming in a while? He clearly didn't feel comfortable sitting on his own amongst strangers... I wonder why? Maybe because they look down on him because he doesn't know the "rules" for a Sunday morning? How about we scrap the "rules" and show some more love? Instead of giving the guy dirty looks, give him a warm smile and maybe even introduce yourself later? Maybe I'm wrong and need to be more reverent in church. It's a definite possibility. I just feel that church is missing the point when it comes to "the lost"... I'll leave it at that.