Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Biting Off More Than I Can Chew

I've been a volunteer at the Barrie Film Festival for the past 3 years, and have loved every minute of it. It's no secret that I'm a fan of the indie, documentary and under-the-radar films we showcase each year. While I enjoy being a volunteer and helping out, I left last year wanting to do more. I mentioned it to one of the organizers and hadn't heard much until last week, when I was invited to sit on the Special Events Committee.


Our first meeting was last night at Donaleigh's Irish Pub. I walked in as the new guy (the only guy), totally unprepared for what was to come. The meeting began and it was off to the races. We started with the kickoff party, people throwing out names of caterers and musicians. We had already planned the look, feel and vibe of the night, assigned duties and moved on to the next event by the time I wrote down the date. 


It was unreal!


These people had clearly done this before.


We were barely five minutes into the meeting and I was already feeling in over my head. "What am I doing here?" The people around the table are all hyper-connected business owners that seem to know everyone!

We need a jazz band, one woman's husband is in a jazz band.

We need food, one woman owns a catering business and knows all the other caterers and restaurateurs in town.

We need decorations and flowers, another woman is friends with the owners of a floral shop.

One person would throw out an idea, and another would build on it before the initial idea had finished. These 6 women were acting as one collective entity. I wish I had taped it.

The meeting lasted about 90 minutes, and we (they) planned 6 major events. It was unlike any event planning meeting I've ever been a part of. I made some small contributions, but mostly watched in awe as the machine began to roll.

I left with my head spinning, in awe of what I had just experienced.

Over my head? Probably, but it was fun.

Ever been there?

When is the last time you bit off more than you can chew?

No comments:

Post a Comment