Friday, September 9, 2011

The Red Bandana

This Sunday marks the 10-year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, and it's one of those moments that you remember exactly where you were when you heard the news.

I was in my room getting ready to go to school, watching CP24 to get the weather forecast for the day. On the screen they were showing one of the WTC towers smoking from a plane crashing into it.

What happened next I can not describe.

It felt so surreal.

Like I was watching a movie, not the news.

I couldn't believe my eyes. My parents were in stuck Hawaii on business, (I can think of worse places to be stuck), and I became the surrogate parent to my brother and sister.

I remember driving to school and driving by the airport, amazed at the number of planes on the ground. It was a truly disturbing feeling.

But out of the confusion, the death and the anger towards the terrorists responsible, came some truly inspiring stories.

One like this one about Welles Crowther. An investment banker who became a hero, and showed the kind of love we read about in John 15.

If you have 15 minutes, grab some tissues and soak this in.

[RSS readers click HERE to view the video]



No comments:

Post a Comment