Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Strengths & Weaknesses

I help out in student ministries at my church, and the student ministries pastor asked me to take the StrengthsFinder test, to help him in understanding what I can offer to the students at Connexus, and finding a role that would energize me.

Well, a friend of mine gave me the StrengthFinder package when the Republic was in its infancy. Turns out my top 5 strengths are: Adaptability, Futurist, Competitive, Strategic, Command.

What does that mean?  I don't know.  Thankfully Jeff Brodie explained it to me.

It means a number of things.
1 - I Like Change.  In fact, I prefer change, even change if only for the sake of change.
2 - I Like New Stuff.  I'm always on the lookout for the next big trend.  I'm an early adopter.
3 - I Like To Win.  The reason I play is to win.  Fun can be a part of it, but I want to win.
4 - I Like Projects.  I work best in a "project-driven" role.
5 - I Dream & Plan.  I like to dream about the future, and make a plan on how to get there.
6 - I Like To Learn.  I like to take in a lot of information, and am constantly trying to improve myself.
6 - I'm Not Afraid To Take Charge.  I don't have a problem taking the lead.
7 - I Look For New Ways To Do Things.  If it has always been done that way, then we need to change the way it's done.

It also means I have weaknesses.
1 - I can lack direction
2 - I take losses pretty hard.
3 - If I'm doing the same thing day after day I will go crazy
4 - I have little respect for the past
5 - I can break things that were working fine before I tried to change them.

I know the test was designed to be accurate, but I'm amazed at what Jeff was able to tell me about myself based on a simple test.  It has given me a lot more insight into what energizes/frustrates me and why it has that effect on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment