Friday, February 27, 2009
I miss sleeping on the beach. I miss walking around barefoot. I miss dawn patrol. I miss having the bronzed body of a Greek god.
Oh summer, when will you return to me?
Thursday, February 26, 2009
He was talking about the "rules" we put on people as soon as they become Christians. Someone says the sinner's prayer and all of sudden their entire life MUST change on the spot. They need to go smash all their CD's and go out and buy the entire WOW Hits Collection. They need to dispose of their "secular" movies, and replace them with the "sacred" Left Behind Trilogy. They need to stop going to the bar on Thursday and Friday nights, and instead get involved with the pro-life group in their community. They need to ditch their old friends who might lead them back down the dark path, and join a small group of shiny, happy people from the church. That can't be what Jesus intended when he died on the cross can it?
What about helping the poor? What about hanging out with the prostitutes and tax collectors? What about loving your enemies? Not until you've completed steps 1 to 5. Donald Miller argues that we need to get out of the way. The institution of the church needs to get out of the way.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Monday, February 23, 2009
- Selective Hatred
- Trying To Get Other People To Become Christians
If you ask me, I don't really want any part of those descriptions. None of those sound like Jesus, and isn't the goal to become more like Jesus? (Either that, or woo him with the erotic love songs we sing in church). If we were to poll those we connect with on a regular basis, whether at work or school, what would they say we are known for? I would hope the response is slightly more positive.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
...OK, actually, I begged him. But now that I'm here, I thought I'd give you a heads up on exactly what kind of posts you can expect to see from me:
1. Lots of supports for the greatest hockey team in the world, Les Canadiens de Montreal
2. Commentary on any movies I've seen lately (I can be pretty harsh, so don't take it personally if I totally bash your favourite movie)
3. My thoughts on current events (kind of like what you'd hear on "The Wire")
4. My thoughts on AJ or Junky that you would probably never hear from AJ or Junky
I'm also on Facebook, so anyone who wants to be my friend is welcome to. Currently, my goal is to beat AJ's 2 million and something friends by June, so come on out and support the cause.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
His new CD; "City Of Black And White," releases on May 19. Until then you can enjoy the first single "Closer To Love" on his website.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Yes, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of summertime. Unfortunately as I look at the forecast, it's still a couple months away.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Here's one for you American Idol fans.
Bookmark it! It's great.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Crystal and I cleaned up our place a couple weeks ago in an effort to get it ready to go on the market. (Anyone interested in a condo in Barrie?) One of the benefits of this new-found tidyness is the fact I can get to my CD rack now. Well today I re-discovered one of my favorite bands of all-time: Further Seems Forever. (Chris Carrabba's band before he left to form Dashboard Confessional, another sweet band) Listening to the FSF disc I thought back to "the good ol' days." The days when music was good, gas was cheap, and people were nicer. It's too bad FSF is no longer alive and kicking, but they did serve us well and leave us with some killer tunes.
What band do you wish was still making records?
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
You are warned though, this live camera is obnoxiously adorable and will take hours away from your life. So if you have something to do, make sure to come back to this video later.
Good. Here's the stream.
Monday, February 2, 2009
1 I think cooked vegetables are just unnatural
2 There is nothing wrong with the Family Channel, Teletoon, and YTV
being in your list of most watched TV channels
3 I HATE the MSN Message sound
4 It was not until I was 17 that I learned when saying the word "tsunami" you do not actually say the "t"
5 Three times have I mistaken the guys washroom for the ladies washroom.
Only once have I actually used the facilities
6 I am scared to have a webcam. I do not want to have people watch me
while I eat, or get changed... or showering
7 I am not going to deny it. Whenever Plumb does a ballad, I love it
8 I abuse the spellchecker on Firefox WAY to much
9 I have WAY to much fun with the honesty box
10 I am determined to one day sneeze without closing my eyes
11 The shortest shower I can take is over 20 minutes long
12 Whenever I play a game, and have the option as playing as a girl, I
will always take that option. Especially in Sims. All the girls are my
favorites, and I just insert guys into the mix for comedy relief
13 For camping outdoors, I always make sure to take my electric tooth brush.
14. I also abuse the period key and replace the standard "." with "..."
15. I actually LIKE getting texts from Facebook on my cell phone
16. When it comes to guilty pleasures, Aly & AJ's Potential Break Up Song is one of mine
17. With "life changing decisions", I always run it through my official adviser first
18. I have the memory of a gold fish. i.e. not very long
19. On my computer is over 500 wallpapers for my desktop. Luckily, I am not one to get completely overboard with things
20. My favorite hockey player was Cliff Ronning. Mostly because at 5'8, he would be the one looking up to me
21. I have never seen the following movies. Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Titanic, Wizard of Oz, E.T.,Old Yeller, Casablanca, and Gone with the Wind,
22. I have the memory of a gold fish. i.e. most of my memories do not even last as long as Paris Hilton's music career
23. I DEMAND that they put the Tick and Animaniacs back on TV. Seriously?? How can you just remove classics from the air waves like that?
24. If Kim Possible was real, I would ask her out in a HEARTBEAT
25.... and the only reason I go to point 25 is because Krista told me too